Up-leveling my work-at-home space
Every year I do a write up on “things I like”. Last week I re-worked my Every Day Carry (EDC), and next I wanted to kick up my desk setup. Who knows how long we’ll be in this weird state, and I wanted a workspace that felt good to be in front of most of the day.
I’m pretty happy with what I ended up with.
What’s there (here’s the shopping list):
- MacBook (Air 512gb/16gb, 1.6ghz, Space Gray) — I didn’t upgrade this past March, but it’s fine for when I’m at home.
- iPhone 11 Pro (256gb, Space Gray) — Goes with me everywhere, except when I’m not going anywhere. 🙂 It’s in a superslim Peel Case.
- Magic Mouse (Black), Magic Keyboard— At the desk only. Really wish Apple made a black keyboard that would match the rest of my setup. The mousepad isn’t anything special — a standard Belkin neoprene.
- Spigen Wireless Charger and Aukey QuickCharge 3 Charger — I really never thought much about wireless charging before, but it’s just so damn convenient to drop the phone on it.
- Twelve South BookArc — one of the cooler and more unique stands for a “docked” MacBook.
- Dell UltraSharp 27 4K USB-C Monitor — One plug in for the Mac and additional USB-C and USB-A ports. The most recent purchase since I’ve been spending more time than ever before in the home office.
- AirPods Pro — the only issue I have with these is that they dont stay in my ear as well as the previous generation AirPods. They are enclosed in the InCase Airpods Pro Case as the the Woolenex case over the rubber ones that pick up all sorts of pocket lint. Works great with wireless charging as well.
- Powerbeats Pro — While I generally use the AirPods Pro for calls and video conferencing, I use these for working out and longer days due to the 9–12 hour battery life.
- Synology 918+ NAS — I use iCloud for most of my sync needs, but I have a good 25TB of home storage for movies, photos and whatever else I need (Plex, Docker, etc) in this handy unit. It’s the backup of my backup.
- Tribit XSound Go Speaker — Wanted to get a small, rechargable speaker for the Mac when im at the desk that sounds great.
- Loyal Stricklin Aviator Mug — Beautiful way to drink my morning tea.
- KardiaMobile 6L — Another one of the unfortunate realities for me these days, I need to carry an EKG reader with me. While the AppleWatch is great for a simple and quick 1-lead EKG, this amazing gum-stick sized device can do a medical grade 6-lead EKG that’s easily sharable with my doctors.
- Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 EDC Flashlight — I always like having a small LED flashlight around. Ya never know when you’ll need it.
- Pete’s Pirate Life Dot-Grid Notebook, Challenge Coin and Pocket Pen— yo ho yo ho.
And.. that’s it, for now..